What’s going on Tuesday?
The Sea and Cake @ Central Park Summerstage in 2010 (more by Matthew Eisman)
today in Chicago
* The Black Willoughbys @ Hideout
* Schoolboy Q, Ab-Soul @ Reggie’s
* I Love You, Big Digits @ Stage Bar
* Tim Barry, Jenny Owen Youngs @ Beat Kitchen
* I-Ching Quartet, Bound, Dan Mohr @ The Burlington
* The Sea and Cake, Golden Retriever @ Empty Bottle
* Ornery Little Darlings, Flying Cars, Vamos @ Schubas
* The Hudson Branch, Clip Art, Belfry Hollers @ Lincoln Hall
* amandaLUX, RKTR, Pyro Fighter, Swampp Cat @ Double Door
* Vamos, Flying Cars, Black Light Saints, The Parallel Fuzz @ Township
* Wu-Tang Clan 101: Mystery of the Illest Rap Group Ever @ Hungry Brain
Take a “class” on the Wu-Tang Clan at The Hungry Brain at 9PM:
Homeroom hosts Fred Sasaki and Seth Vanek welcome hip-hop writer Sherron Shabazz for a look at the many hearts of hip-hop royalty. The leader of the group, RZA, named the band after a kung-fu movie he watched as a child and developed the Wu-Tang philosophy around topics of spirituality, martial arts, capitalism, comic books, chess, organized crime, cinema, and chemistry. Only after the band’s multi-platinum success RZA discovered that the Chinese word “Wu-Tang” means “man who deserves God.” The Wu went from Staten Island rappers to international entrepreneurs to spiritual gurus while creating a lasting, influential universe starring RZA, GZA, Ol’ Dirty Bastard, Method Man, Ghostface Killah, Raekwon, U-God, Inspectah Deck, and Masta Killa–36 chambers of one heart. The whole brought people together of all colors and creeds under one roof, under the W, and this 101 will explore how and why. The night features clips, DJ sets of hits and deep cuts, plus laughs and deadly venom. Stick around for a screening of the original kung-fu movie that set it off: Shaolin and Wu-Tang by Gordon Liu.
Treated Crew dropped “KILLA” for Treated Tuesday this week. Take a listen below.
Treated Crew – “KILLA”